Comment: Being on a gluten-free diet does not mean that you cannot enjoy a variety of pasta dishes using Spaghetti, Ziti, Penne, Linguine or Ravioli to name a few shapes that are manufactured by many companies specializing in gluten-free products, and pasta should be one of your Standard Pantry Items.
Pasta is a simple food item to prepare using a pot the size of which will depend on the amount you are cooking, add water to the pot, add a pinch of salt to taste, boil until soft or al dente for a little extra bite and serve with your favorite topping. In our illustrated gluten-free recipe we use a Ziti pasta adding chicken, vegetables, broth and spices including a sprinkle of fresh Parmesan cheese and it has become a family tradition especially among guests.
2 cups gluten-free Ziti
1 lb Boneless/Skinless Chicken breast sliced into thin wedges or cut into cubes
4 oz Broccoli Crowns
1 Carrot peeled and diced
2 tbls Olive Oil
½ cup gluten-free Homemade Chicken Stock or commercial Chicken Broth
2 tbls mixed Italian herbs that can be parsley, basil, oregano
2 Cloves garlic, diced
½ tsp Lemon Juice
Salt & Pepper to taste
Sprinkle of crushed Red Pepper flakes
- Bring 2 quarts (8 cups) of water (salted if you prefer) to a boil and cook Ziti to al dente tenderness. Drain or do not drain, your preference, set aside but save the water pasta was boiled in.
- While Ziti is cooking, prepare chicken. In a stick-free frying pan add olive oil and cook until translucent.
- Add Italian seasoning, lemon juice, chicken broth, sale & pepper and heat over medium heat. Stir all ingredients into a sauce, add chicken stirring and flipping until chicken is cooked (no pink when meat is cut).
- While chicken is cooking, heat the water that you saved from the pasta, add carrot to al dente tenderness, add broccoli to the same low-boiling water, cook for no more than four/five minutes and strain. Save enough hot water for #5.
- Add cooked Ziti to hot water until warm, strain, add to serving bowl and then add all other ingredients stirring until coated. Serve.
Condiments: Parmesan Cheese
Sides: Mixed Green Salad