Comment: Talk about being under the gun. Thanksgiving dinner for GF and non-GF guests and nearly everyone wanted stuffing – what to do? The conveniently packaged boxed stove-top was out so scramble we did and the resulting stuffing was so good there wasn’t a crumb left. “More” was the call of the day so give this a t
ry. We’re sure you’ll like it – and you can modify it as you go along.
25 minutes in oven @ 350 degrees
Prep time for crumbs: 2 hours
Prep time for other ingredients: 20 minutes
10 or more depending on portions
6 frozen HomeMade GF Buns or 6 slices HomeMade GF Bread (prepare at least 2 hours before starting the recipe)
1 large onion, chopped
1 cup celery, chopped
2 apples, cored, sliced and chopped
2 sweet Italian sausages (crumbled)
8 oz chicken or vegetable HomeMade GF Chicken Stock
2 raw eggs, beat
2 tbl butter (melted) or vegetable oil
4 tsp Bell’s Seasoning (or your own blend of Oregano/Rosemary/Sage/Ginger/Marjoram/Thyme/Pepper)
2 tsp Salt
- Chop the HomeMade GF Buns or HomeMade GF Bread into small cubes (to whatever size you prefer) and most likely the Buns or Bread will be frozen. Defrost in micro slightly, chop and spread on a cookie sheet and bake at 200 degrees until they have dried out. You’ll know this if they are crispy and hard. If still moist, return to oven to bake longer but do not burn. Once dried, set aside.
- In a small fry pan w/splash of vegetable oil, fry crumbled sausages until cooked. It’s easier to cut the sausages into small pieces if they are semi-frozen and once cooked, complete the crumble process. Set aside.
- In a 12” fry pan add butter or vegetable oil and onion, celery, apples and cook until celery is al dente at which time add the Bell’s Seasoning stirring and thoroughly mix.
- In an bowl large enough to hold everything add celery/onion/apple mix, sausage, bread cubes, butter, chicken broth and gently stir in the eggs coating the mix as thoroughly as you can without breaking up the cubes.
- Add everything into a small roasting pan or large casserole dish and bake 20 minutes at 350 degrees (F) stirring occasionally so as to more the cubes bottom to top/side to side. As it is baking, if it appears too dry, stir in small amounts of Stock.
- The finished stuffing should be somewhat moist/somewhat crispy depending on your own preference.
- Remove and serve stuffing in a bowl or on a platter.