Comment: This recipe stacks up against the best of them and you should have no hesitation making it as a side dish to go with any of your baked chicken, beef, pork or fish dinners. We use regular long grain white rice along with HomeMade GF Chicken Stock and it’s one of our favorite dishes so go ahead and try it – modifying it as you go along to suit your own taste.
5-7 minutes to brown rice, an additional 20 minutes to finish it
1 cup long grain white rice
1 cup HomeMade GF Chicken Stock
1 cup tap water (more as needed)
1 onion, peeled and chopped
1 carrot, peeled and chopped
2 stalks of celery, chopped
4 tbl vegetable oil
- In a 12” fry pan add 2 tbls oil, heat over medium heat and add dry rice.
- Stir while browning, coating all grains with oil.
- When rice has browned, add 2 tbl oil, onions, carrots and celery, stir and cook 3 minutes. If rice mixture looks too dry, add a bit more oil.
- While rice is browning, bring to a boil in a 3 quart pan w/lid the HomeMade Chicken Stock and water.
- When the liquid boils, slowly add the rice mixture stirring it into the broth. Lower heat to simmer and cook rice until done checking it occasionally and if too dry, add hot tap water to keep the rice moist.
- When rice is cooked remove from pan to a bowl and serve.
- If you prefer, once the rice is cooked, add nuts or raisins.