Comment: This Italian Classic Lasagna recipe is straight out of Pillsbury Classic Cookbooks and is sensational. So good that we are copying the recipe exactly as illustrated only, of course, we use Tinkyada Brown Rice Lasagna noodles. It’s great as leftovers, frozen or otherwise, and one that we’re sure you’ll want to repeat often.
Cooking time noodles: 20 minutes
Cooking time meat mix: 30 minutes
Cooking time Lasagna: 30 minutes
6 uncooked lasagna noodles
For Meat Sauce:
1 lb lean ground beef
1 lb bulk Italian port sausage
1 cup chopped onions
1 28 oz can Italian-style peeled tomatoes, undrained, cut up
1 6 oz can tomato paste
1 tsp dried basil leaves
½ tsp sugar
½ tsp dried oregano leaves
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp garlic powder
For Cheese Mixture:
1 (15 oz) container Ricotta cheese
1 cup cottage cheese
½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
¼ cup chopped fresh parsley (we substitute with 1 tbl dried)
16 oz (4 cups) shredded Mozzarella cheese
- Cook lasagna noodles as directed on package. Tip: We bring 2 qts of water to a boil and slip in the noodles gently, stirring to keep them apart and boil 20 minutes. Once cooked, put them in a colander, flush with cold water and place on kitchen towels to day before using. Use more than 6 if you wish because they will break apart before you can get them into your baking dish and you can use the pieces to complete your rows.
- Meanwhile, in a large sauce pan, cook ground beef, sausage and onions over medium-high for 5 to 7 minutes or until beef and sausages are cooked, stirring frequently. Drain.
- Add all remaining meat sauce ingredients. Mix well, bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Beat eggs in medium bowl. Add all remaining cheese mixture ingredients; blend well.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Spread about a cup meat sauce in bottom of ungreased 13×9 inch glass baking dish.
- Top meat sauce with 3 noodles, half the cheese mixture, half the remaining meat sauce and half of the Mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers ending with Mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until casserole is bubby and top is golden brown.
- Cover and let stand 10 to 15 minutes before serving. (Tip: If lasagna is browning too quickly, cover with cooking sprayed alum foil to prevent burning.)