Comment: Having all ingredients on hand before you start this recipe is a must and you should have someone assisting if possible because there’s quick frying of the meats, vegetables and rice. It’s an intense 25 minutes but well worth the effort and you’ll want this as a staple for a monthly meal. Leftovers (if any) are good as flavors are enhanced.
Cooking time: Hunan meat & shrimp: 5 minutes
Cooking time: Vegetables: 5 minutes
Cooking time: Fried rice (once rice is cooked): 5 minutes
Ingredients for Hunan Rice:
½ lb chicken tenders (or boneless chicken breast) sliced and cubed
½ lb frozen large uncooked shrimp, defrosted, shelled and vein removed
2 cups Frozen stir-fry vegetables, partially defrosted
4 tbl Peanut oil (substitute with vegetable oil as needed)
2 tbls Sesame oil
½ tsp Hot Sesame oil (optional)
4 tbls Hoisin sauce
4 tbls Soy sauce
½ tsp Chinese Five Spice seasoning
½ cup HomeMade GF Chicken Stock
Preparation of Hunan
- In a large 12” non-stick fry pan add oils, Hoisin & Soy sauces and heat to a high frying temperature.
- Add prepared chicken & shrimp, sprinkle Five Spice seasoning over meats, stir-fry until shrimp are pink colored and no pink in chicken.
- Add chicken broth, stir until well mixed, remove to bowl.
- To hot pan, carefully add 2 tbls Peanut oil and 1 tbl Hoisin sauce, add stir-fry vegetables and quick fry until al dente. Remove vegetables from pan and add to chicken/shrimp mix, stir together.
- Set aside.
Ingredients for Steak Fried Rice:
1 cup cooked long grain white rice
4 oz lean steak cut into small cubes
1 cup frozen peas & carrots, partially defrosted
1 egg, scrambled and cut into small pieces
½ cup HomeMade Chicken Broth
4 tbls Soy sauce
2 tbl Peanut oil (substitute with vegetable oil if needed)
Preparation of Fried Rice:
- In the same fry pan used for Hunan cooking, add Soy sauce and oil over medium heat, stir-fry steak.
- Add partially defrosted peas & carrots, stir until tender.
- Add rice and scrambled egg folding rice, steak and vegetables until mixed.
- Add extra Soy sauce to taste until mix is ‘brown’ from the color of the sauce.
- Transfer to bowl for serving with Hunan.
Condiments: Soy Sauce, Soft Drinks, Beer, Wine