Comment: There are hundreds of recipes for Chili and you’ll want to experiment by adding your own spices and meats but this recipe has served us well and as often as we make it, it’s gone moments later. We use it over rice and as a hearty snack on corn Tostitos chips.
1 pound ground beef (crumbled)
1 semi-frozen Italian sweet sausage, thin sliced
1 semi-frozen Italian hot sausage, thin sliced
1 28 ounce can of whole peeled tomatoes, finger crushed
1 can of red kidney beans, drained
1 medium onion, diced
1 medium green pepper, sliced
2 gloves peeled garlic, diced
2 tbls Chili powder (more for added “hotness”)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground pepper
- Use a 10″ to 12″ fry pan. Add the crumbled beef and the sliced sausages with the onion and garlic and cook over medium heat until the hamburger meat and sausages are brown (Semi-frozen sausages makes for easier slicing).
- Strain off the fatty liquid and transfer the meat combo to a 4.5-5 quart pot w/lid.
- Add tomatoes, Chili powder, salt and pepper and simmer over low heat for 50 minutes stirring occasionally so as not to burn any of the bottom dwelling liquid. (You can add a small amount of water during the cooking stage to make up for liquid evaporation.)
- Taste the Chili to see if it is spicy hot enough and if not, add more Chili powder.
- During the last 10 minutes of cooking, add the green pepper and red kidney beans, stirring gently to mix everything together.
Condiments: Hot Sauce, Sour Cream, Tostitos Corn Chips
Sides: White Rice