Comment: This recipe was originally submitted by a local woman named Maria for a church fund-raiser cookbook and we love it. The only change that we have made to Maria’s recipe is that we use a combination HomeMade Chicken Stock & water vs water only but you may do either.
1 large onion, chopped
2 celery ribs, chopped
4 ounces HomeMade GF Chicken Broth
4 ounces water
¼ cup white wine (optional)
1 cup cream
1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar Cheese
2 potatoes, peeled and chopped
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
½ cup canned yellow sweet corn, drained
¼ cup + 1 tbl butter
½ green pepper, finely chopped
¼ flour (or ½ that amt Corn Starch mixed in small amt of water)
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1 bay leaf
¼ tsp thyme
1 tbl parsley flakes
Salt & pepper to taste
- Melt 1 tbl butter and sauté onion, celery and thyme until vegetables are soft.
- Add potatoes, carrots, bay leaf, salt & pepper. Cover with chicken broth & water and cook until vegetables are barely tender.
- Add green pepper and corn and set aside.
- In a 2.5 quart pan, melt ¼ butter, add flour and heat until bubbly and very light brown.
- Add cream until mixture thickens and boils.
- Add vegetables and their broth. Stir in cheese, mustard, wine and parsley. Season to taste.