Comment: This is a welcome change from typical tomato-base pasta sauces and the recipe comes from Joy of Cooking (our 1973 edition). You wouldn’t think that the ingredients would blend into a very tasty “I want more craving” but it does and chances are you’ll be making this more than once. Savor the taste, it’s unusual.
2 8oz cups of Gluten-Free Ziti
1 cup lean ground beef
1 cup HomeMade GF Beef Stock
1/3 cup whipping cream (or half & half)
1/3 cup butter
¼ cup minced lean ham
¼ finely chopped carrots
¼ cup finely chopped onion
2 tbls tomato paste
1 strip lemon peel
¼ tsp Nutmeg
- Melt butter in a large sauce pan, add carrots and onions, stir and cook for 2 minutes.
- Brown beef in a separate fry pan, drain when done.
- Add ground beef to the butter, carrots and onion mix, cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally and then add all other ingredients except cream.
- Partially cover lowing heat to simmer and cook for 1 hour.
- 20 minutes before sauce is done bring 2 qts of water to a boil and cook pasta.
- When sauce has simmered for an hour remove from heat, take out lemon peel and stir in whipping cream. Transfer to a serving bowl for spreading over pasta.
Condiments: Hot Sauce, Sour Cream