Comment: Angel Food Cake has always been a special treat for us and for years we purchased pre-mixed from a supplier out of New Jersey who has since stopped distributing it. Since then we’ve tried recipes using available GF flours but results were disappointing. Here’s Tom’s Angel Food Cake recipe. It’s a winner hands down. But a note of advice: Follow his mixing directions exactly! If you don’t the cake will not come out right.
1 ¼ cup Tom Sawyer Gluten Free Flour
½ tsp salt
1 tsp baking power (Gluten Free)
1 ¼ cup sugar
12 egg whites
1 tsp Cream of Tartar
1 tsp vanilla
- Sift the flour, salt, baking powder, and about half of the sugar four times.
- In a separate large bowl, beat egg whites and Cream of Tartar until stiff (recommend an electric mixer). Add balance of sugar slowly and blend well. Continue to beat egg mixture with mixer until a firm peak is reached.
- Add vanilla and blend well.
- Sift the flour mixture, in small amounts, over the egg mixture while gently folding. Do not over mix.
- Pour into non-greased (approx. 8 inch) angel food tube pan and bake at 350 degrees F for 50-60 minutes, or until done.
- Remove from oven, invert pan and let cake hang until cool.
- Use rubber spatula to separate cake from pan (if necessary).
1) We set the pan in the oven 1/3 up from bottom.
2) Egg whites at room temp.
3) Hand-help electric beater or counter stand mixer using Wire Whip (not paddle).
Condiments: Cool Whip