Comment: We didn’t know how well these would be accepted but they fast became a friend of the family. There’s an endless variety of ingredients you can use – by adding shrimp, chopped steak, bacon, different vegetables, etc. and we do just that just about every time, but here are the basics.
20 minutes preparing stuffing
25 minutes baking
6 stuffed mushroom caps serves 3
6 extra large mushroom caps
4 tbls butter (or Margarine)
2 tsp Good Seasons Italian Dressing Mix (dry)
½ cup HomeMade GF Chicken Broth
1 small onion, chopped
¼ green pepper, chopped
All mushroom stems, finely chopped
2 ounces HomeMade GF Bread Crumbs (by volume vs weight)
2 tbls + 1 tbls olive oil
¼ tsp Garlic powder
Dash of salt and pepper
Note: If you are adding other ingredients, which may have to be finely chopped and precooked, do so at step #4. For example, shrimp and steak need to be precooked; chopped cooked ham does not.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Wash thoroughly, remove mushroom stems and thin film of skin surrounding the outer edge of the stems. To remove stems without breaking the mushrooms, slice in quarters, vertically, then pry out from the base of the stem; they should pop right out.
- In a 10" fry pan add 2 tbls olive oil and butter, melt, sauté onion, pepper and mushroom stems sprinkling with garlic powder, salt & pepper.
- Add chicken broth, stir into mix and remove from heat.
- Stir in bread crumbs and you should now have a pasty mix.
- Fill each mushroom cap evenly with the mix, place on a cookie sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes. During the baking time, drizzle the remaining olive oil over the stuffed caps to prevent them from drying out. Remove from cookie sheet and serve.